In today’s business world, email is the most common form of communication, and as such, it is important to remember that it is considered a formal business document. Therefore, it is essential to write clearly and succinctly using proper greetings, closings, complete sentences, punctuation and capitalization. Below is a general format of a business email, including applicable sentences for each part of the email.
- Dear Ms. or Mr. Johns,
- Dear Sir/Madam,
- To Whom It May Concern,
- We hope you are enjoying the season.
- It was a pleasure to speak with you on the phone yesterday.
- It is a pleasure to be in touch with you again.
- Following your email from July 11th…
- I read with interest your email of (July 11).
- In reply to your email of (July 11)…
- Thank you for your last email…
- Please find attached…
Body of the email (the purpose of the email)
- Our company can offer knowledge of the newest products and services…
- Our company specializes in… and some of our satisfied clients are…
- I will be arriving on flight 554 to New York, expected to land at 5:00 A.M.
- It is our policy to…, therefore…
- The products/goods/samples you requested/ordered should be ready by / within / no later than / in two weeks.
- Which port do you need the shipment to be sent to?
- Attached please find our confirmation of order no.________.
- Unfortunately, we are unable to reduce our price.
- Unfortunately, we are unable to give you a price reduction.
- Sorry for the delay in replying to your request/question.
Ending Paragraph (the desirable result/outcome of the email)
- I would appreciate the opportunity to meet with you and discuss…
- Your attention and cooperation in this matter will be greatly appreciated.
- In light of the facts mentioned above, I hope/believe…
- Please let me know if I can be of further assistance.
- If I can provide further details/information, I will be glad to do so.
- If you have any further questions, do not hesitate to contact me.
- Please call me at your earliest convenience so we could discuss these and other issues.
- I would appreciate a prompt/quick/speedy reply.
- I am attaching all the necessary documentation to verify the above mentioned.
- I look forward to… (your reply, hearing from you, meeting you).
- I await your reply.
- I am waiting for your order.
- Thank you for understanding.
- Thank you in advance.
- Please let me know at your earliest convenience.
- Please let me know by…
- Please contact me at any time.
- Please let me know if you have any questions and/or comments.
- Please feel free to contact me with any questions and/or concerns you may have.
- Thank you,